Friday, April 6, 2012

First Sale to Austria

One of the great things about internet sales is that it gives a person the opportunity to converse with customers in other countries. This week Whitaker Knits had its first sale to Austria. The buyer sent a gift to a friend and asked me to enclose a note, which I did, though I have no idea what the note said because it was not in English.

I've always liked learning about other countries, and I'm thrilled to hear from customers in other parts of the world. Of course Canada is a frequent buyer of Whitaker Knits items being right next door, but Australia, on the other side of the world, is a constant source of sales. Most of the sales are to individuals browsing etsy.com, but a little shop at http://www.dorothyandevelyn.com/ has purchased Whitaker Knits accessories wholesale to sell to customers of it's retail shop during the Australian winter.

Whitaker Knits has shipped items to Belgium, France, Germany, Israel, the Phillipines, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Norway, Singapore, Sweeden, and Switzerland.Sometimes military personnel buy from Whitaker Knits and the items are shipped to an APO.

Whitaker Knits also buys from other countries through Etsy. I have a lovely mother-of-pearl case for my business cards purchased from www.etsy.com/shop/nacreart in Korea, and I purchased a knitting bag as a gift from www.etsy.com/shop/KnitterBag  which lists the shop only as being in Europe though, if memory serves me, the shop is in one of the countries that were formerly part of the Soviet Union.

Whitaker Knits has used yarn from Uruguay (www.etsy.com/shop/purewool) and Australia (www.etsy.com/shop/onefatslug) and will order more when money allows. I love the thought of wearing a scarf that was once part of alpacas in Uruguay.

It's nice to live at a time when I can see the world without leaving home.

Winona Whitaker
www.etsy.com/shop/whitakerknits

No comments:

Post a Comment