Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The History of Whitaker Knits

I recently began thinking about how long I've been knitting and how the little shop I have at Etsy.com is just a fraction of what I have produced. I taught myself to knit in high school, and I made some sweaters for myself, and threw away many things that simply didn't meet my standards.

Then I gave birth. Knitting became a way to show my love to my children by taking the time to make things that I thought would please them.

 
This Hawkeye cheerleading outfit was an effort of love for my firstborn in 1992.


 
With two daughters, most of the things I knit became hand-me-downs. This sweater was no exception. Knit in 1992, my second-born wore it later.

 
Dresses were a little more difficult and time-consuming, but this one turned out well.

 
I made this rainbow blanket for my son in 1999. He still has it, but it's much too short now.
 
 
I was quite proud to be able to make matching sweaters for myself and daughter number two.

 
Following a chart requires great concentration, but it's worth it to see the smile on someone's face.

 
Knitting doesn't limit me to what I can find on the rack in a store. When this daughter was obsessed with The Lord of the Rings, I knit the names of the characters in the Fellowship into this sweater. 

 
 
These are just a few of the items that I've produced over the last 25 years. I'm happy to knit for your families now. Visit etsy.com\shop\whitakerknits for hand-knit items for every age.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment