Thursday, April 12, 2012

Flags

One of the great things about etsy.com is that it is an international community. Seeing products made by crafters in other countries gives insight into the lives of those people and the traditions of their countries.

Because I'm interested in other cultures, Whitaker Knits offers fingerless mittens in the colors of foreign flags. The practice started around St. Patrick's Day a couple of years ago when I offered Irish Flag Wrist Warmers.


Since then I have added the Canadian maple leaf,



the French flag (which is the basis for the colors in the flag of Iowa),


and the US flag.


I've been working on a pair of fingerless mittens with Japan's Rising Sun  motif, but getting a circle that is perfectly round is difficult when knitted rows are not the same size as knitted  stitches.

Obviously there is a limit to how difficult a design can be knitted into a mitten, but I plan to try other flags as I have time. If the TARDIS and R2D2 can be knitted into hats and mittens, so can more complicated flag designs.

Winona Whitaker

www.etsy.com/shop/whitakerknits
http://www.whitakerknits.mysupadupa.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment